This sweet cake recipe from London-based party caterer Scarlett’s Pantry has captured our hearts. These delicious bite-sized treats make us think of those old party favourites, Fondant Fancies. After icing, you can adorn them with heart sprinkles, edible glitter or even write your sweetheart a message in icing. Bake up a batch for your favourite people or anonymously deliver a box of them to someone special…
- 200g softened salted butter
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons
- Pinch of fine salt
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 200g sifted self-raising flour
- Apricot jam
- 300g marzipan
- 1kg fondant icing
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Red or pink food colouring
- Edible Valentine’s decorations / sweets
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a 21 x 31 x 2.5cm baking tray with baking paper, ensure it is pushed neatly into all the corners.
- Cream the butter, grated lemon zest and salt together until creamy. Add the caster sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add in the beaten eggs, 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the sifted flour. Spoon the mixture into the tin and spread out evenly. Bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until the centre of the sponge is springy. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
- Pour the lemon juice over the top of the cake and leave for 5 minutes to sink in. Brush a thin layer of apricot jam over the top of the cake. Thinly roll out the marzipan until the same size as the top of the cake. Lift onto the cake and cut around to remove any excess. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Using a ruler, mark out the cake into 28 squares and then cut.
- Melt the fondant icing with a drop of hot water and the juice of 1 large lemon. Stir continuously until the fondant has melted and is runny. Divide into two bowls. Keep one bowl white and colour the other red or pink with the food colouring. Dip one square at a time into the icing mix and leave to cool on a wire rack. Decorate as you wish, with sweets or Love Hearts.
Scarlett’s Pantry is a London-based boutique catering company which creates scrumptious home-cooked dishes and cakes for all kinds of events, including children’s birthday parties, cocktail-party canapés, dinner parties and wedding cakes.