This Alice in Wonderland cake stand was impossible to resist when I spotted it on the Party Pieces website, complete with ‘Drink me’ bottles and ‘Eat me’ miniature cake stands. Any Alice in Wonderland fan is sure to feel the same! I’ve loved creating the stand, completing it with my simplest ever strawberry Queen of Hearts jam tarts. An all in one recipe you can whizz up in no time! They freeze well too – just add the jam before serving.
- 150g unsalted butter, softened, in pieces
- 80g icing sugar, plus more to dust
- Finely grated zest of 1 large unwaxed lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g self-raising flour, sifted
- 20g cornflour, sifted
- 12 tsp strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/375°F/gas mark 5 and line a fairy cake tray with 12 paper cases.
- Cream together the butter, icing sugar, zest and vanilla for a few minutes, until really light and creamy, then add the flour and cornflour. Place a walnut-sized ball of mixture into each paper case and press the centre down to make a dip. Bake for 15 minutes, or until light pale gold. Set aside to cool.
- Using a teaspoon, place 1 tsp jam (or other filling of your choice) into the centre of each. Sift over a dusting of icing sugar and set aside to firm up. These will keep in an airtight tin for a few days.