We’re very excited to share this extract with our readers! This cute little how-to from Pompomania shows you how to make fluffy pom pom hearts! Use them to decorate your gift wrapping or pop them into party bags!
Basic Pom Pom Making
Master these five steps and the pompom world is yours for the taking.
- Wind wraps of yarn around one half of the maker.
- Snip through the yarn wraps all round the centre channel.
- Tie another length of yarn tightly round the centre.
- Repeat on the other half. Close the maker.
- Trim into a neat shape. Then trim some more.
Love Heart Pom Poms
A love heart pompom is the perfect gift for a loved one. When making the ‘heart inside’ pompom, keep picturing the shape of a heart as you wind the yarn and you will find it easier to build up the heart shape within the pompom.
You Will Need
- DK-weight acrylic yarn in the following colours: light blue, dark blue, red
- 7cm (2 ¾ in) diameter pompom maker
Make a pompom in the usual way. Complete and remove from maker, but do not trim it into a round.
Holding yarn tails in one hand, trim pompom into a conical shape to make bottom point of heart.
Cut a V-shaped groove in centre of upper half to make the top of heart.
Trim each side into a heart shape. Start at side then work round from front to back, trimming little bits.
Tip – When trimming, to make a neater heart shape, keep brushing the yarn in different directions and trim where necessary.
Pompomania by Christine Leech
Photography: Joanne Henderson