Flapjacks are the perfect party treat – they are super easy to make, travel well and are enjoyed by both adults and children. This Apple & Cinnamon Flapjack recipe from The 5 O’Clock Apron is simply delicious and super fun to make with children in advance.
Apple & Cinnamon Flapjacks Recipe
Makes 12 flapjacks
- 400g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 200ml cold water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 200g rolled oats
- 60g soft light brown sugar (or as you like, for sweetness) or honey
- 80g raisins
- 1 tsp baking powder
- sunflower oil for greasing
- Cook the apples to a pulp with the water and cinnamon over a moderate heat with a lid on the pan for about 8–10 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Mix the oats, sugar, raisins and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the apple pulp to the oats, removing the cinnamon sticks, and mix well.
- Spoon into a greased 20 x 28cm baking tin, 5cm deep, and smooth out even and flat. Try not to have too many raisins poking out from the surface of the flapjack, as these tend to catch in the oven – poke them down with your forefinger.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, until nicely coloured and firm on top.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Cool on a wire rack.
The Five O’Clock Apron by Claire Thomson is published by Ebury Press, £20. Photography by Mike Lusmore.
Available to buy from Amazon