When I spotted this adorable “I believe in Unicorns” cupcake set on the Party Pieces Website, I simply could not resist! I just had to get into the kitchen and get baking. So if you’re planning a magical unicorn party, or maybe just because you love unicorns, like I do, why not make my very simple, all in one, lemon and raspberry cupcakes.
“I Believe in Unicorns” Cupcake Recipe
Tip – all ingredients should be at room temperature
For the Cakes
- 175g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g unsalted butter, soft
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
For the Filling
- 24 tsp lemon curd
For the Buttercream
- 200g raspberries
- Juice of ½ large lemon
- 300g unsalted butter, softened
- 700g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 set of “I believe in Unicorns”
- Edible glitter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C / fan 160°C / gas mark 4 and place paper cases into 2 cupcake tins.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl of an electric mixer and add all other cake ingredients. Beat together until mixed but take care not to over-mix. Divide between the cases and bake for 15 minutes until spring back to the touch. Leave in the tins a few minutes then cool completely on a wire rack. (can be frozen at this stage if you like and thoroughly defrosted when you wish to proceed).
- Remove centre of each cake using an apple corer or point of a knife and place a teaspoon of lemon curd in the centre. Replace the cake “plug”.
- To make the raspberry buttercream, place the raspberries and the lemon juice into a pan, crush with a fork and gently simmer a minute or two – it will become thicker – then sieve and set aside to cool. Beat the butter and icing sugar and very, very slowly add the raspberry puree. If you add it too fast it may split, but you can add extra icing sugar if necessary. Fill a piping bag and pipe in swirls onto the cupcakes. Decorate with your “I believe in Unicorns” kit and, for an extra magical touch, a flurry of sprinkles and edible glitter!