A delicious Classic Victoria sponge is a perfect addition to any street party! My all in one recipe is so quick and easy, but as with all cake baking make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
All ingredients should be at room temperature.
For the cake:
- 225g Unsalted butter, really soft, in pieces, plus more for the tins
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or seeds from 1 vanilla pod)
- 225g golden caster sugar
For the filling:
- 220ml tub double cream, lightly whipped to thicken
- 8 tbsp best quality strawberry jam
- Fresh strawberries and blueberries to decorate
- Icing sugar to dust
For a simpler version just fill with strawberry jam and omit cream and berries and dust with icing sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/375°F/gas mark 5. Butter two 20cm round sandwich tins and line the bases with baking parchment. To make this all-in-one cake, you can use a food mixer, a large bowl and a hand-held electric whisk, or a food processor.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl. Add the eggs, vanilla, sugar and butter. Cream together thoroughly, but not too enthusiastically as you want a light sponge. Divide the batter between the tins and smooth the surfaces.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave the cakes in their tins for a couple of minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool. Leave until cold. When ready to serve, select the best-looking cake for the top and place the other, baked top-side down, on a serving plate. Spread with cream. Spread the flat side of the top cake with the jam. Sandwich the two cakes together.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve on the day it is made. The unfilled cake can be frozen ahead, but only fill it on the day it is served.