These nutty meringues look delightful and are perfect as wedding favours or an addition to your dessert table!
Chocolate and Almond Meringues
Makes around 40 meringues
- 15g chopped whole almonds
- 2 medium egg whites, at room temperature
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
For the filling
- 20-30g dark chocolate (minimum 60 per cent cocoa solids)
- Preheat the oven to 110°C/fan 90°C. Line a flat baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Pulse the chopped almonds in a blender until finely chopped, taking care not to overwhizz otherwise the nuts will end up oily.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean grease-free bowl, just until the mixture stands in soft peaks. Add the sugar,a tablespoon at a time, and whisk in until dissolved.
- Sift the cocoa powder over the top then add most of the chopped almonds, leaving about a teaspoon to sprinkle over at the end.
- Fold everything together then spoon into a piping bag fitted with a lcm nozzle.
- Pipe rounds on to the parchment,sprinkle with the remaining nuts then bake in the oven for around 1 hour. They’re ready when the meringues come away easily from the parchment. Leave in the oven to cool.
Chocolate Fit for a Queen by Historic Royal Palaces is published by Ebury Press £10
Available to buy from Amazon