We love this super-easy recipe from Very Veggie Family Cookbook, it only includes two steps and you can decorate them with whatever you wish! Perfect for beginners and children to make around Valentine’s day!
Chocolate Pralines Recipe
Perhaps the most child-friendly baked ingredient in the world, we use oat bran instead of the standard porridge oats here, and it makes the paste a bit creamier and softer. Put simply, a little more like luxurious pralines, but still as easy to make!
Makes about 30
- 90g/3¼oz/1 cup oat bran
- 120g/4¼oz/scant 1 cup plain flour
- 100g/3½oz/½ cup granulated or demerara sugar
- 20g/¾oz/scant ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 150g/5½oz butter, at room temperature
- something nice to coat them in (see suggestions below left)
- Mix everything but the coating to a smooth paste.
- Shape into small balls and roll in coatings of your choice. Store in a cool place.
- Replace the butter with dairy-free margarine and roll in a vegan coating.
- icing sugar
- vanilla sugar
- sesame seeds
- desiccated coconut
- chopped nuts or almonds
- melted chocolate (dip them quickly!)
- cocoa powder
It’s difficult to think of anything that sounds more boring than oat bran, but if you manage to look beyond the wholefood label, oat bran is actually really good stuff. For example, it can transform your completely normal chocolate ball paste into a soft praline paste. And that’s just for starters! In addition, oat bran is a winner when it comes to nutrition; you could say it’s a concentrated form of porridge oats: rich in vitamin E, phosphorous and iron, and last but not least, the clever little substance beta-glucan, which helps create a good environment for your blood vessels.
Very Veggie Family Cookbook
Sara Ask & Lisa Bjärbo
Published by Pavillion RRP £14.99
Available from Amazon