Slushy ice, in other words. In Italy, sgroppino is a grown-up concoction of Prosecco, vodka and sorbet served as a cocktail. I make this elderflower version for my children on especially hot days. By all means make a Prosecco version when the kids have hit the sack.
Elderflower Sgroppino Recipe
- 8 ice-cream scoops of lemon sorbet or elderflower sorbet
- about 200ml sparkling elderflower pressé, or elderflower cordial (see below) with sparkling water
- fresh mint or lemon balm leaves, to serve
Place the sorbet scoops in a jug and add the sparkling elderflower pressé to the jug.
- Whisk together by hand until combined and you have a thick slushy ice.
- Divide the slushy sorbet between 4 glasses and stir each with a spoon, topping up with a little more elderflower pressé if needed.
- Top each glass with a mint or lemon balm leaf to make it look especially lovely.
Elderflower Cordial Recipe
Makes 1.5 litres
- 25 generous heads of elderflower
- zest and juice of 2 lemons (preferably unwaxed)
- 1.5 litres boiling water
- 1kg caster sugar
- Carefully pick over the elderflower heads, removing any insects. Put the flowers into a bowl with the lemon zest.
- Pour the water into the bowl, making sure all the flowers get fully immersed in the water to prevent them oxidizing and turning brown.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave overnight to infuse.
- Strain the liquid through a clean jelly bag or piece of muslin into a large pan.
- Add the sugar and the juice of the lemons.
- Bring to the boil, skim off any froth that surfaces and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring well to ensure that all the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave to cool, then pour what syrup you plan to use immediately into a sterilized container or bottle and store in the fridge. Pour the remaining cordial into clean plastic bottles and store in the freezer for up to a year.
- Dilute as required with still or fizzy water to taste. We found 1:3 cordial to water to be best
The Five O’Clock Apron by Claire Thomson is published by Ebury Press, £20. Photography by Mike Lusmore.
Available to buy from Amazon