Not your classic cookie, but the perfect substitute to give you the delicious snack you’ve been craving all day, with no harm done!
Vegetarian / Gluten-free / Dairy-free / Refined sugar-free / Makes 12 cookies
- 250 g (83⁄4 oz/1 cup) almond butter
- 150 g (51⁄4 oz/scant 1⁄2 cup) clear honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 120 g (4 oz/scant 11⁄4 cups) ground almonds
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 50 g (13⁄4 oz/scant 1⁄2 cup) cacao nibs
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/ Gas 4). Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
- In a medium bowl using a hand-held electric mixer, beat together the almond butter, honey, egg and vanilla extract until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Beat in the ground almonds and bicarbonate of soda until combined. Stir in the cacao nibs.
- Roll the dough into 12 balls, place onto the lined trays and gently press down into cookie shapes. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden brown.
- Once out of the oven, immediately sprinkle salt on top of the cookies, then leave to cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Best eaten within 5 days.
Love Your Lunches by Bec Dickinson (Hardie Grant, £12.99) Photography ©Bec Dickinson