Today’s Foodie Friday brings yet another Winter warmer from Magic soup! This time, we’re sharing the recipe for a super-scrumptious corn, cod and chorizo soup!
Corn, Cod & Chorizo Soup Recipe
- 200g cod fillet, in one piece
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 40g unsalted butter
- 250g frozen sweetcorn
- about 300ml whole milk
- 60g cooking chorizo, crumbled or sliced
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- flaky sea salt
Corn soup is very heart-warming; it’s sweet, comforting and the kind of food that takes you back to your childhood. We’ve made it grown up with the addition of cod and chorizo. Sometimes the good things in life also come in threes.
- In a bowl, combine the cod with the turmeric, salt and grated onion and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 10 minutes (you’ll discard the onion before cooking the cod, but it helps to deepen the flavour).
- In a heavy-based pan, heat half the butter and add the sweetcorn. Cook gently until tender, adding a little water to make a spreadable consistency if the corn doesn’t have enough residual liquid of its own.
- Process in batches in a blender, adding the milk until you have reached your desired consistency (we like this soup to be quite thick so that the cod and chorizo can almost sit on top). For a smoother soup, pass through a fine sieve before returning to the pan. Season with salt if needed.
- Heat a small frying pan and add the crumbled chorizo; it has enough of its own fat so you don’t need to add any more to the pan. Fry it until slightly crispy, then set aside.
- Remove the cod from the marinade, scraping off the onion. In a larger frying pan, heat the oil until nice and hot, then pan-fry the cod forabout 5 minutes. Add the remaining butter, turn the fillet over and remove from the heat.
- You should be able to flake the fish easily into bite-size pieces. Heat the corn soup through and ladle it into bowls, then divide the cod and chorizo between them and serve.
Nicole Pisani & Kate Adams
Published in hardback by Orion on 12 Feb 2015
Available from Amazon