Hosting a dinner party? Why not wow your guests with this indulgent recipe combining bitter dark chocolate with sweet fluffy meringue and tangy orange.
Torta di Meringa Recipe
This is one of the occasions when using bitter chocolate is just right because of the sweetness of the meringue. Usually artisan gelato makers prefer chocolate with a sweeter flavour.
Serves 6 – 8
- 250 g/9 oz/generous 1 cup mascarpone
- 25 g/1 oz/1/8 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 100 g/4 oz good quality plain dark (bittersweet) chocolate
- 150 ml/5 fl oz/2/3 cup double (heavy) cream
- 2 tbsp grappa
- 75 g/3 oz/3/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 100 g/4 oz chocolate-dipped orange pieces (aranciotti), chopped
For the meringue
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 175 g/6 oz/scant 1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat the oven 140°C/275°F/Gas Mark 1.
- For the meringue, draw 3 circles, about 18cm/7inches diameter, onto a piece of non-stick baking paper (baking parchment). Turn the paper over and place on baking (cookie) sheets.
- Whisk the egg whites and salt together in a large grease-free bowl until firm peaks form. Whisk in the sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, whisking well between each addition, until the meringue is glossy and stands in firm peaks. Spread a third of the mixture evenly into the circles, just up to the drawn edges. Bake for 30 minutes then carefully turn them over and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the mascarpone and sugar together in a large bowl. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of hot water and leave until melted. Remove the bowl from the pan and leave to cool for 15 minutes, then fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Whip the double (heavy) cream and grappa together in a bowl until the cream holds a firm trail when the beaters are removed. Fold into the mascarpone mixture. Remove a third of this mix and set aside in the refrigerator. Stir the nuts and orange pieces into the remainder.
- Put a layer of the meringue into a 18 cm/7 inch springform cake tin, then add a layer of the nutty mascarpone mixture. Repeat the layers ending with a top layer
Gelato: Ice creams & sorbets
Published by Pavilion Books