This week we’re sharing another of Fearne Cotton’s fabulous recipes from her first ever cook book, Cook Happy Cook Healthy. These little goodies look like they’d be a guilty treat but in fact they’re super healthy!
These would be my desert island dessert essential. They look divine, taste so naughty but are pure goodness, and are fun to make too. They make the perfect tea party centrepiece, and your friends won’t believe they are good for you!
Mini Coconut & Cherry Tarts Recipe
Makes 6 Mini Tarts
For the base:
- 100g raw unsalted almonds
- 90g plain oatcakes
- 90g dried dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
For the filling:
- 2 x 400ml cans full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- 3 tbsp set honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 18 fresh cherries, halved and pitted
- 50g raw unsalted pistachio nuts, cut into slivers
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F/Gas mark 6 and line the holes of a 6-hole muffin tray with cling film.
- To make the base, place the almonds in a roasting tray and roast for 5–6 minutes, or until a shade darker and aromatic, taking care not to let them burn. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Place all the ingredients for the base, including the roasted almonds, in the bowl of a food processor and blitz until the mixture forms a paste that sticks together when you press it between your fingers.
- Divide the base mixture between the 6 lined muffin holes, pressing it firmly into the base and sides. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes, to set firm. Once firm, remove the tray and carefully lift up the overhanging cling film from each hole to release the mini tart cases. Place the tart cases on a plate, cover and chill.
- Remove the cans of coconut milk from the fridge without shaking. Remove the lids and carefully scoop out the very firm, set coconut cream at the top, leaving the coconut water in the cans (don’t throw the water away – use it to make soups, curries, porridge or smoothies). Add the thick coconut cream to the cleaned-out bowl of the food processor together with the honey, vanilla extract and salt and blitz until completely smooth. Remove the tart cases from the fridge and evenly divide the coconut cream between them. Add three cherry halves to the top of each mini tart and scatter over the slivered pistachio nuts. Serve immediately or chill, covered, for up to 3 days (or until ready to serve).
Cook Happy Cook Healthy
Published by Orion June 2016
Available from Amazon