This week we’re celebrating Foodie Friday with another delicious recipe from the Dumpling Sisters. These sticky noodle fritters would be perfect for a party menu with a Chinese theme!
It’s always exciting to chance upon new and unexpected ways of using old ingredients. There’s no better example of this than turning egg noodles into crunchy fritters. As the sweet chilli in the batter sizzles in the hot oil, the sugar caramelises and turns the fritters a mouthwatering golden-brown colour. Serving the fritters with extra sweet chilli sauce makes for a brilliant zingy accompaniment – just be sure to have napkins nearby for those sticky fingers.
Sticky Noodle Fritters Recipe
- 200g dried egg noodles
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, plus extra to serve
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- Cook the noodles in a pan of boiling water, according to the packet instructions, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl. Sift the flour and baking powder into the eggs and whisk until smooth. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except for the oil, then add the noodles. Use a pair of chopsticks to separate out the noodles so that every strand is lightly coated in the batter.
- In a large frying pan with high sides, pour in the oil to a depth of about 5mm and put the pan over a medium heat. To test if the oil is ready, drop a single noodle into the oil. It should sizzle instantly. Using a tablespoon and a fork, gently twist the noodles into bundles (making sure not to coil too tightly otherwise the fritters won’t be delicate and crisp) and carefully slip the bundles into the hot oil. Use a fish slice to gently press down to flatten the fritters and shallow-fry for 1–2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Serve immediately with loads of sweet chilli sauce.
The Dumpling Sisters
Amy and Julie Zhang
Published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson
Available from Amazon