You had your lunch a couple of hours ago but you’re beginning to feel peckish again… These crumble cakes are the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet cravings whilst providing a healthier and more satisfying alternative to chocolate and sweets!
These muffins are packed with natural ingredients and unrefined sweetness keeping your fuelled through your afternoon low.
VEGETARIAN | VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE | DAIRY-FREE | REFINED-SUGAR-FREE MAKES 12
For the Crumble
- 115 g (4 oz/scant 1⁄2 cup) coconut oil
- 80 ml (21⁄2 oz) almond milk
- 200 g (7 oz/1 cups) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- 250 g (83⁄4 oz/2 cups) ground almonds
- 150 g (51⁄4 oz/generous cup) coconut sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 140 g (5 oz/scant 1 cup) whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 4 tsp coconut chips
For the Cakes
- 250 g (83⁄4 oz/1 cup) coconut oil
- 200 ml (7 oz) almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g (101⁄2 oz/generous 21⁄2 cups) gluten-free plain (all-purpose) flour
- 100 g (31⁄2 oz/1 cup) ground almonds
- 240 g (81⁄2 oz/generous 1 cup) coconut sugar
- 11⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 250 g (83⁄4 oz/1 cup) fresh mixed berries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/ Gas 4). Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- To make the crumble, place the coconut oil and almond milk in a small saucepan over a low heat until the oil melts. In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining crumble ingredients.
- Pour the melted coconut oil mixture on top of the dry ingredients, and stir together until it forms a crumbly texture. Set aside.
- Make the cake base by melting together the coconut oil and almond milk, then stirring in the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining cake mixture, except for the mixed berries.
- Pour the melted coconut oil mixture over the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Pour the cake batter into the muffin tin, filling three-quarters of the way up. Top each cake with a small tablespoon of the berries, and spoon the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden on top and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin, then gently remove once completely cooled. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Best eaten within 5 days.
Love Your Lunches by Bec Dickinson (Hardie Grant, £12.99) Photography ©Bec Dickinson