If you’re on the hunt for a super summery edition to your family barbecue or party then this chicken recipe is for you! This zingy dish from Cabana the cookbook is the perfect accompaniment to citrusy salads, spicy wedges or fresh rice dishes. The Brasilian inspired cookbook is bursting with recipes ideal for celebrating the summer games! Warning – it’s probably not a good idea to scroll down if you’re feeling a bit peckish…
Zingy Lime & Garlic Chicken Recipe
As much as we love spice, we know not everyone likes a side of heat with their meal. This lime and garlic marinade results in tender, juicy chicken that’s packed full of flavour, but without the chilli, therefore taking the heat down a notch.
- 500g skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 6 tbsp Zingy Lime & Garlic Marinade (page 74 to make your own)
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 quantity Honey Mustard Glaze (page 77 to make your own)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lime wedges, to serve
- Trim off any fat from the chicken thighs, then put them in a bowl. Add the marinade and toss to coat. Let the chicken marinate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Light the barbecue and let the flames die down before starting to cook. If cooking indoors, preheat the grill to high. Trim and remove the seeds from the yellow pepper and cut it into wedges. Thread alternating pepper strips and chicken thighs on to 4 or 5 metal skewers and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook for 10–12 minutes, turning once or twice, until the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Baste liberally with the honey mustard glaze, then return to the heat for another 2–3 minutes, until evenly golden brown. The chicken thighs should feel firm when ready.
- Remove the skewers and leave to rest for a few minutes. Serve hot with lime wedges on the side. It’s delicious with Biro-Biro Rice (page 80) and Sweet Potato Fries (page 86).
Carnival! By David Ponte, Jamie Barber and Lizzy Barber
Published by Quadrille £10
Photography: Martin Poole
Available from Amazon