Spook your guests this Halloween with these scarily delicious cupcakes! Tip – The cakes freeze very well, and once defrosted take no time to ice and decorate. I’ve used Party Pieces amazing Halloween Cupcake set and topped my cakes with a sprinkling of tiny fudge squares.
Note: Cupcake cases vary greatly in size! This recipe makes 24 using the Party Pieces Halloween Kit. Do remember if your cakes are larger and you make fewer and larger cupcakes, they will take several minutes longer to bake!
For the Cakes
- 24 cupcake cases
- 90g unsalted butter, softened
- 100ml whole milk
- 200g dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 40g dark muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
For the salted toffee buttercream
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce
- Pinch sea salt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Piping bag
- Star nozzle
- Halloween cupcake set decorations
- Tiny fudge squares
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 170°C fan / 350°F / gas mark 4. Place cases into a cupcake tray. Place chopped dates into a heatproof bowl and pour over 175ml boiling water. Leave to soak for 20 minutes and then mash into the liquid with a fork.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla for about 5 minutes in an electric mixer. Add eggs gradually with 1 tbsp of flour to stop it curdling. Fold in remaining flour, bicarbonate of soda, date mixture and milk. Divide between the cases and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops spring back to the touch. Remove from the oven, leave in the tins a couple of minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
- Make the toffee buttercream by creaming the butter and icing sugar for 5 minutes with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Fold in the caramel sauce and a pinch of salt.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes and decorate! The cakes can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container for a couple of days.