Dairy free, gluten free & refined sugar free! These delicious treats by Hemsley and Hemsley are full of goodness and make a perfect party treat!
Hemsley & Hemsley Paradise Bars Recipe
- 200 g bar of creamed coconut
- 6 tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. raw honey
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
- 150 g desiccated coconut
- 200 g (85% cocoa solids) dark chocolate
- Line a 20 cm square tin with baking parchment. In cold weather, place the unopened packet of creamed coconut in a bowl of warm water to melt it through (you can massage the packet to help it along). In warm weather, the creamed coconut will already be fluid enough.
- When it’s soft all the way through, pour into a bowl and mix in the coconut oil (it will melt if it’s hard), raw honey, vanilla, salt and 2–4 tablespoons water if you like a softer centre.
- Stir in the desiccated coconut evenly to create a doughy consistency.
- Pour the dough into the prepared tin. Press the mixture down with the back of a spoon to make it level and set in the fridge for 15 minutes until hard.
- Turn the tin of coconut mixture out onto a chopping board and slice into 6 horizontal slices by 4 vertical. Place them onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and keep in the freezer while you prep the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass or metal bowl over a pan of warm water – make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl and do not allow the water to boil or simmer – you may have to keep removing from the heat. This should take about 30 minutes.
- When the chocolate has almost melted, take the bowl off the heat and place on a tea towel to avoid slipping. Leave it to cool as much as possible without it hardening to give a thicker coating to the paradise bars – stir occasionally.
Extracted from The Art of Eating Well by Melissa and Jasmine Hemsley. (Ebury, £25).
Photography by Nick Hopper.
Available from Amazon