For a twist on the Halloween and bonfire night favourite try these delicious Toffee Apple Cupcakes from Cath Kidston’s new book, Mug Cakes, Cupcakes & More.
For the cakes
- 125g (1/2 cup, plus 1 tbsp) salted butter,
- softened, plus extra for greasing
- 125g (2/3 cup) light muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 apple (about 100g/3.oz), peeled,
- cored and cut into small cubes
- 1–2 tbsp apple juice
- 150g (2/3 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 225g (about 1 2/3 cups) icing (powdered) sugar
- 75g (2 ½ oz) toffee caramel sauce
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 50g (2oz) hard toffees, bashed into
- small pieces
- edible gold sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cupcake cases.
- To make the cakes, place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Sift over the flour, baking powder and spices, and fold in with the apple. Fold in enough apple juice for the mixture to be of a dropping consistency.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases and smooth the tops with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until well risen, pale golden and springy to the touch.
- Remove the cakes from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the icing.
- Place the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the toffee caramel sauce and cinnamon.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe a swirl of icing onto each cake.
- Decorate with the toffee pieces and a sprinkling of edible sugar.
These cupcakes are perfect for Bonfire Night. To bash the toffees, unwrap them and place them in a zip-lock freezer bag. Make sure you remove the excess air from the bag before sealing it, then bash the bag with a rolling pin until the toffees are broken up into small pieces.
Cath Kidston: Mug Cakes, Cupcakes & More by Cath Kidston (Quadrille, £15) Photography © Dan Jones